Tuesday, November 18, 2014

• Day Trip: Cincinnati, OH & Covington, KY, 10-8-14


Have you ever watched a TV program on PBS, History Channel, Discovery Channel, or whatever channel, and thought to yourself, that would be a pretty cool place to visit or check out? Well, that happened with me this past September after watching an episode on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives titled Worldwide Flavofest on the Food Network channel. In this episode Guy Fieri visited a restaurant named Island Frydays in Cincinnati, OH. Island Frydays was "founded by Jamaican native Leo Morgan. [He] is a graduate and former football captain at the University of Cincinnati." I really liked Morgan's story, which I will not get into, but here's a link to his restaurant website if you are interested. (www.islandfrydays.com/#!our-story/c1el3)

This past summer I had been going on rides across Ohio by myself since I am not working at the present because of medical treatments I am going through. So I have a lot of time on my hands, and if I am not working on an art project, taking photographs at some biker event or for myself, I am on my bike. The last trip I made before going down to Cincinnati was a trip to Athens, OH for a forty five minute lunch. Well, one day one of my bros, Sonny knew about some of the trips I had made because I posted them on my Facebook page, and he told me he would love to ride with me when he had time off from work. And, of course I thought that would be great!                                                                                

On October 2nd Sonny had the day off, and we met that morning around 10 am at The Waffle House off of US 40 W near the I-270 underpass where we ate some grub and downed a cup or two of coffee. We decided to stay off the highway for this trip, and take the back rodes to Cincinnati. That day, I believe was the last great day to take a long ride because two days later it got butt ass cold!

Anyway, about an hour into the ride Sonny and I started to get a taste for a cold one, but we could not find a place to wet our whistles. We thought we would find a place along the way where we would not have to go too far off route, but for almost two hours there was not one damn place! We asked locals and all the places they told us about would had taken us off course so we soldiered up & continued riding. Eventually, we rode into Lebanon, OH where I stopped some old dude and asked where we could get a beer, and he told us about a place. FINALLY! After satisfying our thirst, we decided to hop on I-71 S because it was going to take us another hour and a half to get to Cincinnati using the back roads, and only a half hour taking the highway.

When we arrived in Cincinnati, we were ready to eat!



After finishing a really incredible meal, we came to the realization that we needed more beer and decided not to stay in Cinci, and go a bit further south into Kentucky. We didn't have to go that far because basically a few plus blocks away was Covington, KY. Not being familiar with the area we had a bit of trouble finding a watering hole again. We rode around downtown Covington, and didn't see too many people walking about. Which kind of threw us off for some reason, but finally I seen this dude standing outside a storefront with his H-D and thought to myself.....HE WOULD KNOW WHERE WE CAN GET SOME BEER! And, he did.

The first spot we went to was a pretty cool bar called Hat Tricks Sports Bar. The people there were very hospitable and had some damn good cold beer. Sonny and I had two beers there, then asked where else was there to go?




They told us about a small district near by called Main Strasse that was only a few blocks from Hat Tricks. Sonny and I hopped on our bikes and journeyed on over. The first place we went to is called MainStrasse Village Pub. This place was "totally cool" because they had one of the largest selection of beers one could ask for, and the people were great. It felt almost like being at Cheers in how welcoming everyone was that included bantering. Next we went to a bar called Strasse Haus, then to a bar called Cosmo's. It seemed like each place we went to was more welcoming than the next. We decided to end our trip by going back to MainStrasse Village Pub for one more for the road, then around 6 pm we head back to C-Bus.































No comments:

Post a Comment